Why you should have a Maternity Photography Session…
If you’re like a lot of the soon-to-be-mothers, you may be a little camera shy right now. Especially when you’re seven to nine months pregnant. And who can blame you! After all, your body has changed over the last several months, your baby is sitting low and you probably feel uncomfortable even walking from the kitchen to the living room sofa. We can absolutely relate.
Let me tell you something, though. You are stunning. In this moment, you are the absolute epitome of natural beauty. And every single photograph we take together will showcase the inherent grace and elegance that accompanies all women with child and will be a beautiful piece of art to display in your home.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: there is an unparalleled luminescence that radiates from a pregnant woman. A glow so unique to pregnancy that it’s impossible to replicate under any other circumstance. These thoughtful, artistic maternity photos of you will be treasured by you, your significant other, your friends and family and, yes, your unborn child, forever.
If you’ve been sitting on fence about documenting your pregnancy with photographs, here’s just a few reasons to bite the bullet.
1) This is your First baby – Your body is changing and is growing a life inside. This new and exciting time in your life deserves to be documented. 9 Months can feel like a lifetime but blink and your Baby will be running around and you’ll want to remember this special time in your life.
2) This will be your Last baby – When you know this will be your last baby it can be quite bittersweet and emotional. You know you will never again carry another life inside and feel your Baby kick and wriggle. It can be hard letting go of that special time in your life so why not have the whole family together to celebrate the newest and last addition to the family.
3) Special pregnancy – We know may families that have struggled to conceive and many who have used IVF to get pregnant. It is a special moment when you can finally share with the world that you are expecting and one that deserves to be captured so you can remember that all the tears, hard work and sacrifice was worth it.
4) You need a Pamper session – We think all expectant Mothers are gorgeous and love their rounded belly but we also know that you don’t always feel that way. With morning sickness, tiredness, hormones and an aching body you can feel less than presentable. Take some out for yourself to help you remember that “yes! you are gorgeous!”. Have a manicure/pedicure a few days before your session maybe even a pregnancy massage. Book an appointment to get your hair and make up professionally done and let us help you celebrate your new curves with a photo shoot that you can be proud of and treasure for the rest of your life.
5) Keepsake – Your children and the generations to come will cherish the memories you leave behind. Our girls love nothing more than going through our photo albums and seeing Mum pregnant with them and hearing stories about that time in our life. Yours will too, I promise. It connects you and you can bond over those shared memories. We have a range of beautiful products to suit everyones tastes weather you want to display a beautiful canvas in you Baby’s nursery, a photo album to pass on or a stunning photo box which allows for variety to display.
The worst kind of regret is regretting something you didn’t do when you had the chance and you can’t get it back.
So have we convinced you yet? We hope so, and if we have keep reading for tips and FAQ’s about a Maternity session with Field + Forest Photography.
In your maternity shoot, we’ll take a variety of photographs of you in different poses. As long as you’re comfortable, we’ll get photographs of you laying down, sitting, standing and leaning. Some will hone in on that adorable baby bump, some may be silhouettes of your frame and others will capture the bond between you and your significant other.
Pregnancy sessions are best when the tummy is nice and round and Mama is feeling well. This can be anywhere from 30-36 weeks; however sessions can be held safely up until 38 weeks. We recommend before any photography session that Mama has eaten and drinks plenty of fluids.
Hair and makeup are recommended but not required. We can recommend Hair and Make up artists if you need.
Upon booking a session all factors are discussed, such as style of session, clothing, personal requests and desired outcome. Partners and children are always welcome.
When should I schedule maternity photos?
As a general rule of thumb, I like to schedule your maternity session shortly after you’ve told friends and family the exciting news! This will give us plenty of time to find a great day that works well for both of us. Maternity photos are typically taken when you’re showing — generally around 7 to 9 months into your pregnancy
How many outfits should I bring to my maternity session?
Two outfits for your maternity session is a good number to bring. I like to always have at least two for variety’s sake, but whether you want to wear more than that is up to you. I always recommend bringing a backup outfit or two just in case you’re not “feeling” the outfit you’d planned to wear. If you want to have some exposed belly shots, a long flowing skirt and crop top/bikini is perfect.
What should I consider when planning maternity outfits?
My biggest piece of advice is to wear something you feel both comfortable and beautiful in. My second piece of advice is for you to choose a non black or white top that is form-fitting enough to showcase your baby bump. Soft, pretty pastels or a bold colour that pops, whatever is your style as we want to capture the true you. Lastly, wear a supportive, well-fitting bra. Breasts change a lot during pregnancy, so pick up a new bra that fits immaculately before our session to avoid discomfort and any lumps!
Where do we take the photographs?
Where we take photographs depends on the type of session we’re shooting. For maternity we do on-location, outdoor photographs that let us maximise our access to natural light. This can be in a beautiful pasture, beach, in the woods or even in urban settings.
Can my partner or child be in the photographs, too?
Of course! I love incorporating mum, dad and your other children into our session photos. While in most cases you, dad and baby will be the stars of the day, I believe it’s so important to have several photographs with the entire family.
We hope this helps not only ease your mind about having a Maternity session with us but also excites you about documenting this special time in your life!
We hope to hear from you soon xo